Province Kicks In $12,000 For Sault United Way
LOCAL2 Staff for local2 sault ste. marie
November 16th, 2011 at 10:34am
The province is supporting the United Way in Sault Ste. Marie with $12,000 to upgrade volunteer recruitment initiatives, David Orazietti, MPP announced today.
“The province remains committed to supporting community agencies like the local United Way because we recognize the invaluable services that these organizations provide for residents,” said Orazietti. “This funding will enable the United Way to streamline its online database of existing volunteer opportunities and make it easier for individuals to become involved with organizations and groups in our community.”
The provincial funding, which is being delivered through the Ontario Trillium Foundation (OTF), will be used to improve Volunteer Algoma’s online directory of local volunteer opportunities. The website upgrades will increase the ability of Volunteer Algoma to recruit volunteers for a variety of positions with a number of organizations in Sault Ste. Marie and the Algoma region.
“We are very pleased and grateful for the Ontario Trillium Foundation’s support of the Volunteer Algoma project,” said Gary Vipond, CEO of the United Way of Sault Ste. Marie. “This project will link the Volunteer Algoma web site directly to the regional 211 database, eliminating the need to update the Volunteer Algoma agency database and significantly reducing the time required to administer the site. The project will also bring the site up to current technological standards.”
The United Way of Sault Ste. Marie has been providing support in the community since 1957. It is a volunteer-driven charitable organization that seeks to improve lives and build community by engaging individuals and mobilizing collective action.
The Ontario Trillium Foundation is a leading grant organization funded by the province, which strengthens the capacity of the voluntary sector through investments in community-based initiatives.
Provincial investments through the Ontario Trillium Foundation in Sault Ste. Marie since 2003 total over $4 million and include organizations such as:
· $138,000 Algoma Residential Community Hospice
· $120,000 Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre
· $ 98,700 Community Living Algoma
· $ 93,000 Sault Youth Association
· $ 77,300 Soo Pee Wee Association
· $ 75,000 Sault Ste. Marie Skatepark
· $ 68,500 Learning Disabilities Association SSM
· $ 67,500 Rotary Club of Sault Ste. Marie
· $ 60,000 Sault Ste. Marie Symphony Association
· $ 60,000 Soo Finnish Nordic Ski Club
· $ 50,000 Tarentorus Sports Club
· $ 41,000 United Way of SSM
· $ 30,000 Searchmont Ski Runners
· $ 30,000 Family YMCA Sault Ste. Marie
· $ 27,600 Echoes Drum Festival Sault Ste. Marie
· $ 15,000 St. Mary’s River Marine Heritage Centre
· $ 14,500 Art Gallery of Algoma